return to the this is Nottingham Bloggers home page

Friday 11 April 2008

Polly Davison gets ready for the marathon

Only two days to go until I’ll be standing with 35,000 or so other runners to begin the London Marathon.

I can’t quite believe it, less than five months ago I wasn’t even running regularly and when I did it was no further than 3km!

I can already feel the butterflies, so goodness knows what it’ll be like on Sunday. I felt such a sense of achievement when I ran 13 miles for the first time, 26 is just going to be out of this world.

When I was given the opportunity to run in aid of Tomorrow’s People (www.tomorrows-people.org.uk) through my company Select Appointments I didn’t really think what I was taking on.

I’d always wanted to be able to say I’d run a marathon, but hadn’t quite considered what that might involve.

I first knew I had the place back in October and I decided that the best option for me was to get a personal trainer. Someone I could see once a week, who would keep me on track and give me professional advice and encouragement.

So I enlisted Jake Attwood from Virgin Active, he’s been able to formulate a training regime that was simple and easy to follow; one long run, one short run and interval training every week with extra runs as and when.

It’s been a fantastic experience I’ve seen a massive improvement in my fitness and my style of running. The training has just been the half of it, although it has slightly taken over my life just ask my boyfriend!

I’ve also pledged to raise £2,000 for Tomorrow’s People; I’m nearly there with only a few £100s to go.

It’s mainly been through the generosity of family and friends, old and new! I haven’t been fundraising alone - the Nottingham Select Appointments office have supported me so much particularly with their own donations.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has donated, their generosity is really appreciated.

In these last few days I’m trying to take it easy, as per instruction, I’ve decided this is my favourite week of marathon training! Lots of stretching, sleeping and pasta, oh and a short run!

People keep asking how I feel and am I ready, I think I’m ready, you can always do a bit more, but I think it’s mind over matter now. I saw the best piece of advice in the newspaper at the weekend – it said whatever you do keep smiling, so that’s what I’m going to do and hope the legs keep going!

If you have a few spare pennies and would like to sponsor me my fundraising webpage is www.justgiving.com/pollydavison

0 comments: